Welcome!

Here you will find sermons, devotions, prayers, and conversation for the family of faith at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lancaster, PA as well as all visitors to this page. Comments are welcome on any of the posts here. CELC Vicar Evan Davis now writes and maintains this website.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Jesus shows up whether we like it or not. And he's bringing love.

Like it or not, Jesus shows up whenever even two or three of us are gathered.  That's good news from our reading from Matthew this week, but it might mean something in our lives that we don't expect.  Here's the sermon for Sept. 4.  How does the love of God in Jesus change your life?

12th Sunday after Pentecost – Sunday, September 4, 2011
Texts: Romans 13:8-14, Matthew 18:15-20

Aren't there sometimes when you just don't want to be bothered? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my mother. To all of you who are mothers or who love your mother, or grandmother, or your father or stepparents or guardian, I want to be clear that I cannot say how much I love or appreciate what mothers and all parents do, really. But I think you know what I'm talking about when I say sometimes I'm just busy, running from one thing to the next when that phone rings. You know who it is. She always calls at the same time. You don't even have to look at the phone to know who it is. It's Mom calling. The guilt sets in. I want to just hit silence and put that phone right back in my pocket, but that voice on my shoulder won't let me do it. With a sigh, I flip open the phone:

 “Hi, Mom”
“Yeah, I'm really busy today, just running out the door, actually-”
“Oh really, you want to come over?”
“Gee, wow. You want to come over today.”
“You know, maybe next week could-”
“Today, ok.”
“I mean, Mom, I know you get tired sometimes. Don't feel like you have to come over, really. I know you care about me and all-”
“You'll be here in 15 minutes. Great.”
“I'll just put on some water for your tea. Yep, I'll have it. Can't wait to see you :/”
“Mom, are you there?”

<Sigh.> I love her, but I must confess I don't always want her around. I have my way of doing things. I've got stuff I need to do. Things would just be easier if she wasn't there to question everything I do, or to notice every bit of dust in my house, or to tell me what I should be eating...

We hear today from Jesus, “where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” Really Jesus? I mean, really. Come on, don't you have something better to do, like battling the devil or saving the world? Surely there's some Pharisees somewhere you can debate with. Why do you have to show up in my life?

Jesus tells us today that he shows up whenever we are together, and the example case is if someone has sinned against us. The translation of our reading begins, “if another member of the church sins against you,” but the actual word here is brother. It's “If a brother,” or a sister, meaning someone close to you, “sins against you.” That's not an “if,” that's a “when.” All of y'all with brothers and sisters know what I mean. We just sang a hymn called “God when human bonds are broken.” Well, when aren't they?

Why do I, why do we, need Jesus to show up THEN? We can handle that. We have all kinds of ways to settle disagreements like this. We've got justice systems and prisons and police, not to mention an old-fashioned argument or fight if we just want to settle things on our own. Here in the church we could even follow the neat little instructions Jesus laid out for his disciples and benefit from them as well. Let's see, here. Step one, go tell them face to face what they did wrong. If that doesn't work, step two, bring a couple more buddies to set them straight. If they still don't 'fess up and pay me back my due, step three, get 'em in front of the whole congregation – then they'll have to own up or they'll have all of us on their case. And if that doesn't work, well there's no saving them, we'll throw 'em out and they'll never tarnish the halls of this place ever again.

Seems like a nice little solution. Problem solved. Not so fast, Jesus says. You see, we have a lot of thoughts about justice and we usually do a really good job of making sure that our rules help us look good and shut out all the people we don't like very much. In the part of his letter we heard today, St. Paul echoes Jesus in summing up the law into one thing, and that's love. Paul seems to have figured out Jesus' teaching that if all we have are rules that separate us into right and wrong, good and bad, that before long we will be the ones thrown out of the congregation.

All through Matthew's gospel, we are promised that God will be present with us in Jesus Christ. An angel tells Joseph that his son will be named “Emmanuel,” meaning “God with us.” The resurrected Jesus appears to his disciples saying, “remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” We hear today, “where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” Jesus has set up shop and he's here to stay. And wherever Jesus is, so is his kingdom. God's kingdom is here on earth because Jesus has promised to be here with us.

And where Jesus is, where the kingdom of heaven reigns, things are different. This passage we hear today is the third of three responses Jesus gives in this chapter to the disciples' question, “who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Jesus' first response is to pick up a child and tell them they must become like children. Then Jesus tells a story about a shepherd who rejoices over the one lost sheep more than over the 99 who never went astray. The kingdom of heaven is not about being the best or strongest. It's not about doing the right thing all the time.

Let's look at today's story. With quite a bit of irony, Jesus instructs his disciples to treat the people who just won't listen as a Gentile or a tax collector. Now, normally this would be a sensible solution – kick 'em out. But Jesus' whole life and teachings are about how everyone, Gentile outsiders and sinful tax collectors among them, are included in the kingdom. Jesus is talking about those who sin against us, people we just can't stand or even people we hate, and he's asking us to see them the way that God lovingly and mercifully sees them.

And this is not all. Jesus promises that when we come together in this world in his name as his people, God will respect whatever decisions we make. Woah. Clearly, Jesus isn't worried about us always getting the right answer. Lord knows, we have and we will always make some pretty ugly decisions. Jesus isn't interested in perfect justice being carried out, but in his people coming together. He wants us to listen to each other and to honor each other's perspectives. He isn't asking us to always agree, but to hear each other, to reconcile with each other and to remember the grace God has given to each of us.

Things are different in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus is here in our gathering among us, and he has made his law of love the highest law of all. But this love isn't a law that requires anything of us, no. The love of Jesus does not wait for us to agree with each other, or to stop hurting or even killing each other. It doesn't wait for us to give each other the respect due a beloved child of God. The love of Jesus comes right to us. It doesn't make sense. It's actually very hard to comprehend or imitate. The love of Jesus isn't stopped by our messiness, sin, dishonesty, mistrust, fear or hatred. Jesus' love takes all these to the cross, and they are nailed there along with him. The love of God in Jesus is for you, right now, and you don't have to clean up your life first to receive it. This love is setting you free to be a disciple of Jesus in the world.

It frees us all to be honest and open with each other because we've got nothing to hide. Sure, we're all flawed, we've all got scars and wounds and we all can be nasty to each other – but God loves us. God chose to work with us. No one has to fake being perfect in order to follow Jesus.

Here at this table where we gather, 2 or 3, or 20, or 100, Jesus is present among us. It's why we call this Holy Communion – because the presence of Christ literally binds us back together into a community built upon God's love. Everyone is invited to this table, all are seated around it and each person eats the same no matter what you did or who you were before you got here. The kingdom of heaven has come. Now you are God's child. Now we are sisters and brothers. Now we eat together in the presence of our Lord. Come to the table. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment