Welcome!

Here you will find sermons, devotions, prayers, and conversation for the family of faith at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lancaster, PA as well as all visitors to this page. Comments are welcome on any of the posts here. CELC Vicar Evan Davis now writes and maintains this website.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

feeling lost?


Part of this coming Sunday's gospel reading, from Luke 15:

3 So Jesus told them this parable: 4 Which one of you, having a hundred sheep
and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go
after the one that is lost until he finds it? 5 When he has found it, he lays it
on his shoulders and rejoices. 6And when he comes home, he calls together his
friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my
sheep that was lost.' 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

I think a lot of times we tend to see ourselves as the one hundreth sheep, the one that is found. And we should rejoice in this for so many reasons, one of which that really strikes me is that God finds us - we don't do anything to be found - God/Jesus/the shepherd does the finding!


BUT have you ever tried on for size what it might feel like to be one of the 99? What do you mean you're leaving allllllllll of us to go looking for that one sheep?


How deeply this speaks to God's concern for each individual.


It has been a busy week so far - and a joyous one in many ways. After Monday, Labor Day, and worship on Sunday I've been trying to count my blessings with the work I am blessed with, and remember in prayer the great many who are without work. But as the days go all too quickly with stressful moments, I am given by this reading just a little taste of God's peace and love for us each day, each moment.


God's peace be with you.


- Vicar Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment